Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bridgesicle.

So for the 3d Design course that I'm taking, we had to create a bridge that would support an eight pound brick that also met these requirements:
-only using popsicle sticks, woodglue, and kite twine
-must be 24 inches long
-cannot layer the popsicle sticks any more than 3 deep at any given point.
This is what I came up with:
I knitted a net for the brick to be set in in the bottom, which really seemed to impress my instructor, actually. He told me I should "go to New Zeland and help make chain mail for the new Lord of the Rings movie." He's kind of a character.

He was pretty helpful to me though, I am more good at making things that are aesthetically pleasing and not so much have any practical uses, such as brick holders. He advised me to have it meet at the top or else it would fall in on itself, which I wouldn't have had the foresight for. I tested it with a couple things at home, such as a weighty candle, but couldn't find anything heavy yet small enough to compare to the brick, but what i did have to use didn't even seem to phase it, so I have pretty high hopes, seeing as whoever had the bridge that can hold the most bricks gets 2 movie tickets! This really was a big learning experience for me, having to think about creating things with a purpose and solving problems along the way, such as trying to attach two popsicle sticks with a dowel rod.

Anyway, the brick contest is Monday, I will report back with how it goes down!
And I will be sure to post our next project on here as well, which is a chair made out of cardboard that doesn't look like a chair...and can support a human sitting in it.
-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment