Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bookmaking and Stampmaking

So I have been obsessed with the library lately! And since I don't have a lot of time for reading actual books since I am supposed to be reading school books, I got some crafting books at the library. This one is (obviously) about making books.

I have made little pamphlet books before but never any kind of book that requires a knowledge of stitching pattern, so I am excited to make this one.

The below picture is of my bone folder becoming more flexible in oil. It had to soak overnight, but has since been dried. I am not in love with the fact that it is made of bone, but I guess I have leather shoes, so there isn't too much of an ethical difference. (Plus the silicone ones are quite pricey, supposedly.)
I have actually made 10 signatures (folded pages) of 4 leaves per signature. So, I am on my way to making a new book, but I think I need a drill to (easily) drill the holes for the instructions I am trying to follow, so I am bringing the project home with me!
So this is my other crafting adventure lately! Trying to make my own stamps! This one is obviously going to be my own initials. And I did this just with the carving tool obviously and an eraser, I have some of the carving blocks, but it is obviously cheaper to use just plain old erasers to practice on.

Here's a close up of one of the stamps, you can see the mess it makes in the background of pretty much all of these pictures, but luckily I have a vacuum. (and I like contained chaos!)

This bottom picture is an account up to the point that these pictures were taken. When I go to Hobby Lobby or a craft store, the stamps I seem to look at most are the ones used to proved a backdrop or lines for journaling. So I am working on making some stamps with like lines, and stuff. But as I am not very skilled yet, the lines have come out pretty wobbly and sketchy, haha.
So those are my newest crafting attempts, and I swear I have some scars (from the carving tool) to prove my trials, but I am always excited to make new things!

I am obviously still very excited about knitting. I am being more and more tempted to try the double pointed needles for some cute mittens, but I am holding off learning a new craft 'till I at least master the two above!

--Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment